|The Soft Protest Digest|
|Signature of “The Soft Protest Digest”|
|Years active||2018 to present|
& Jérémie Rentien Lando)
|Telephone||+33 (0) 607437671|
|Interview||Listen to radio interview|
The Soft Protest Digest is an art and research collective founded by Danish artist and gardener Nickie Sigurdsson, with French designers and artists Robin Bantigny and Jérémie Rentien Lando.
The collective is using different narratives to test how food culture, in the context of climate change, is created and altered. Calling on the use of fictional traditions, multi-species storytellings, publishing, the landscape and local knowledge; the collective believes that stories create kinship and allies, much needed in a time of environmental breakdown, in order to imagine and realise liveable futures.
As of today The Soft Protest Digest has been focusing its efforts on three different areas which have led to several context-specific editions.
- Ardenne edition 🇳🇱🇧🇪🇩🇪🇫🇷 (October 2020 to September 2021)
- Noord-Holland (North Holland) edition 🇳🇱 (January and October 2019)
- France edition 🇫🇷
- Spore & Pollen 🇫🇷 (November 2019)
- Saint-Étienne edition 🇫🇷 (April 2019)
- Bourgueil edition 🇫🇷 (June 2018)
The Soft Protest Digest has been developing its research and dishes through several public events (workshops, exhibitions, residencies).
- The cheese ripening initiative (2021)
- Make a garden before you build a house (2021)
- Landscape, soil, cheese and me (2021)
- Headwaters (2021)
- The Container (2021)
- The Almond (2020)
- Preparation of a naked soil strip, Inauguration of a naked soil strip (2020)
- Soak until soft (2020)
- Spore & Pollen (2019)
- The Soft Protest, re-chewing & Digest (2019)
- Five new resilient dutch dishes (2019)
- Waarom beginnen met Stamppot? (2018)
- The Confident (2018)
Ongoing research projects of the Soft Protest Digest, aside from public events:
Hereunder, an exhaustive list of the dishes designed by The Soft Protest Digest.
- Solitary bee bread
- Grutto, weidevogel
- Rumen, digestive system
- Het Groene Hart
- Le Tissé Chaud
- Gepofte aardappel haring
- Lunetten kroket
- Koningsdag wortel tompoes
- Queen of Night, calvinistisch brood
- Ecology of the dutch + Rhizosphere
- Stamppot pies
- Sneeuw eieren
- extra: Sour Doc.
- The Confident
EVALUATING THE RESILIENCY
Hereunder, the tool used by the collective to evaluate the environmental and cultural resiliency of various products and dishes.
PUBLICATIONS & PODCASTS
- 🔊 “Supporting the reproduction of pollinators through a garden dance” — Podcast (~40 min) 🇬🇧🇫🇷
(with cider producer Christhian Toullec and traditional dance teacher Yuna Postic)
- 🔊 “An open-source bee for a poisonous environment” (with beekeeper and biologist Julien Perrin) — Podcast (~35min) 🇬🇧🇫🇷
- 📖 “Choose or constrain, the reasons of The Soft Protest Digest” — Article published in design magazine Azimut 🇬🇧🇫🇷
- 🔊 “What about CO2 grazing cows?” (with organic dairy farmer C. van Rijn) — Podcast (~1 hour) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “Potato - Gepofte aardappel haring” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “Goat milk - Bokkenvlaai” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “Cauliflower - Lunetten kroket” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “The Carrot - Koningsdag wortel tompoes” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “Bread - Queen of Night, calvinistisch brood” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
FACTS & INFORMATION
- 🔍 Overall impact of the 40 most produced foods on the environment
- 🔍 Reading the organic label is not enough!
- 🐟 Fishing series: How to better farm the ocean? A look at “restorative ocean farming”
- 🐟 Fishing series: From the fishing rod to ultra-productive fish farms
- 🐟 Fishing series: A few climate conscious guidelines to buying fish
- 🐟 Fishing series: How fishing plays a part in the collapse of our climate
- 🐟 Fishing series: The scandal of electric fishing
- 🌎 How the USA lost the Earth?
- 🛢💸 The real deal about Carbon Pricing
- ☔️ Water series: The primordial soup of life: oceans water
- ☔️ Water series: Interactions of flora with water and climate
- ☔️ Water series: How mankind uses water? From food to energy
- ☔️ Water series: Future extreme dynamics of water use
- The what-how-why of Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)
RESEARCH FEED (follow our Instagram for more)
- 🐝 Bee series: What are actually honey and pollen?
- 🐝 Bee series: On wax and the dance of the bee
- 🐝 Bee series: Worker, explorer, nurse, queen bee…
- 🐝 Bee series: What about queen bee?
- 🐝 Bee series: On the bee and its relationship with other pollinators
- 🐝 Bee series: On the decline of the bee
- “A little awareness cannot hurt”: Albert Heijn, 2019.
- Umwelt of the bee
- A summer Île de France edition, 3
- A summer Île de France edition, 2
- A summer Île de France edition, 1
- 3 scenarios: the possible futures of the cow
- The conservation of milk in India
- From grass to nutrients, a journey into the cow's digestive system
- How does CO2 contribute to a healthy ecosystem and how to store it back into the soil?
- On the history of the dutch dairy industry and the impact of its lobbies
- Livestock’s long shadow
- On the relationship between plants and CO2
- The effects of fresh water dams
- Vittel, or how to claim sovereignty of water
- About eroded soils: our contemporary deserts
- Call for a new European Common Agricultural Policy - Citoyens français
- Call for a new European Common Agricultural Policy - EU citizens
- Call for a new European Common Agricultural Policy
- Les courses - ride 2
- Accepting a technological future of food in the Netherlands
- Free vegetable stock!
- Les courses - ride 1
- 2019 Paris International Agricultural Salon
- Lab grown meat in NL
- The Low food symposium
- A satanic pie: the “vlaai”
- The monopoly of the orange carrot
- La “galette des rois”, the royal cake
- About Carbon, part-2
- About Carbon, part-1
- On “Nepeiren”, or fake-eggs
- On “Nepvis”, or fake-fish
- On foraging
- “Pomona”, the first vegetarian restaurant in the Netherlands
- Giant dutch pancakes!
- A soy bean's point of view: teaming up with Monsanto for World domination
- Dutch cannibalism
- A dutch christmas scandal
- About our good old shiny red tomato
- The voedselbos, the food forest
- About sea water potatoes
- About the Netherlands
- About the orange carrot
- Importation of phosphate in the Netherlands