|The Soft Protest Digest|
|Signature of “The Soft Protest Digest”|
|Years active||2018 to present|
& Jérémie Rentien Lando)
|Telephone||+33 (0) 607437671|
|Interview||Listen to radio interview|
Centering its research around food history, agriculture and the social and political ties to what constitutes a food culture, the collective aims to design environmentally resilient diets. May this research be proposed to the residents of a neighborhood, a city, a region or a state, The Soft Protest Digest believes in the usage of storytelling as a way to create or adapt food traditions, recipes and diets which would take into account the cultural heritage and emotional bond between the eater and its local gastronomy. Engaging with the community through eventful meals, workshops and talks, the collective seeks to encompass the knowledge and ressources of the actors at hand in the production of a vernacular food culture in order to design consistent alternatives.
As of today The Soft Protest Digest has been focusing its efforts on three different areas which have led to several context-specific editions.
- Nederland edition 🇳🇱 (current)
- Saint-Étienne edition 🇫🇷 (April 2019)
- Bourgueil edition 🇫🇷 (June 2018)
The Soft Protest Digest has been developing its research and dishes through several public events (workshops, exhibitions, residencies).
- “Spore & Pollen”
- “The Soft Protest, re-chewing & Digest”
- “Five new resilient dutch dishes”
- “Waarom beginnen met Stamppot?”
- “The Confident”
Hereunder, an exhaustive list of the dishes designed by The Soft Protest Digest.
- Grutto, weidevogel
- Rumen, digestive system
- Het Groene Hart
- Le Tissé Chaud
- Gepofte aardappel haring
- Lunetten kroket
- Koningsdag wortel tompoes
- Queen of Night, calvinistisch brood
- Ecology of the dutch + Rhizosphere
- Stamppot pies
- Sneeuw eieren
- extra: Sour Doc.
- The Confident
EVALUATING THE RESILIENCY
Hereunder, the tool used by the collective to evaluate the environmental and cultural resiliency of various products and dishes.
PUBLICATIONS & PODCASTS
- 🔊 “An open-source bee for a poisonous environment” (with beekeeper and biologist Julien Perrin) — Podcast (~35min) 🇬🇧🇫🇷
- 📖 “Choose or constrain, the reasons of The Soft Protest Digest” — Article published in design magazine Azimut 🇬🇧🇫🇷
- 🔊 “What about CO2 grazing cows?” (with organic dairy farmer C. van Rijn) — Podcast (~1 hour) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “Potato - Gepofte aardappel haring” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “Goat milk - Bokkenvlaai” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “Cauliflower - Lunetten kroket” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “The Carrot - Koningsdag wortel tompoes” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
- 🔊 “Bread - Queen of Night, calvinistisch brood” — Podcast (~5 min) 🇬🇧
FACTS & INFORMATION
- Overall impact of the 40 most produced foods on the environment
- Reading the organic label is not enough!
RESEARCH FEED (follow our Instagram for more)
- Bee series: What are actually honey and pollen?
- Bee series: On wax and the dance of the bee
- Bee series: Worker, explorer, nurse, queen bee…
- Bee series: What about queen bee?
- Bee series: On the bee and its relationship with other pollinators
- Bee series: On the decline of the bee
- “A little awareness cannot hurt”: Albert Heijn, 2019.
- Umwelt of the bee
- A summer Île de France edition, 3
- A summer Île de France edition, 2
- A summer Île de France edition, 1
- 3 scenarios: the possible futures of the cow
- The conservation of milk in India
- From grass to nutrients, a journey into the cow's digestive system
- How does CO2 contribute to a healthy ecosystem and how to store it back into the soil?
- On the history of the dutch dairy industry and the impact of its lobbies
- Livestock’s long shadow
- On the relationship between plants and CO2
- The effects of fresh water dams
- Vittel, or how to claim sovereignty of water
- About eroded soils: our contemporary deserts
- Call for a new European Common Agricultural Policy - Citoyens français
- Call for a new European Common Agricultural Policy - EU citizens
- Call for a new European Common Agricultural Policy
- Les courses - ride 2
- Accepting a technological future of food in the Netherlands
- Free vegetable stock!
- Les courses - ride 1
- 2019 Paris International Agricultural Salon
- Lab grown meat in NL
- The Low food symposium
- A satanic pie: the “vlaai”
- The monopoly of the orange carrot
- La “galette des rois”, the royal cake
- About Carbon, part-2
- About Carbon, part-1
- On “Nepeiren”, or fake-eggs
- On “Nepvis”, or fake-fish
- On foraging
- “Pomona”, the first vegetarian restaurant in the Netherlands
- Giant dutch pancakes!
- A soy bean's point of view: teaming up with Monsanto for World domination
- Dutch cannibalism
- A dutch christmas scandal
- About our good old shiny red tomato
- The voedselbos, the food forest
- About sea water potatoes
- About the Netherlands
- About the orange carrot
- Importation of phosphate in the Netherlands